Old Colony Planning Council
The five hundred and twenty fifth meeting of the Old Colony Planning Council was held on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at the Council offices located at 70 School Street, Brockton, MA.
|OCPC Delegates/Alternates Present|
|Robert Moran, Jr.||Brockton|
|Preston Huckabee||Brockton Alternate|
|George Wadsworth||Duxbury Alternate|
|Forrest Lindwall||Stoughton Alternate|
|Eldon F. Moreira||West Bridgewater|
|Communities Not Represented|
- Call to Order, 7:00 PM
Council President Lee Hartmann called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
- Roll Call of Members
Council Secretary Frank Staffier read the roll call.
- Minutes of February 24, 2016 Meeting
Council President Hartmann asked if there were any additions or corrections to the meeting minutes as prepared. Mr. Eldon Moreira moved to accept the minutes as prepared, seconded by Robert Moran Jr. So voted. George Wadsworth abstained.
- Financial Report for January/February 2016
Council Executive Director Mr. Pasquale Ciaramella presented the January Financial Report. Mr. Eldon Moreira moved to accept the January 2016 financial report as prepared, seconded by Ms. Sandra Wright. So voted. Mr. Ciaramella presented the February, 2016 financial report. Mr. Eldon Moreira moved to accept the February 2016 financial report as prepared, seconded by Mr. Robert Moran Jr. So voted.
- Staff Report
Economic Development: Mr. Ciaramella said that staff has been working on the Economic Development Work Program, the EDA application for District funding for 2016-2017 and the OCPC Economic Development District Performance Evaluation which will be held on March 31, 2016. The OCPC CEDS Committee met on March 7, 2016. The next CEDS meeting will be on April 11, 2016 at noontime. Area Agency on Aging (AAA): Staff is continuing working on the Area Agency on Aging (AAA) and the Ombudsman Programs for FFY 16. An application for a grant for volunteer transportation funds in the amount of $106,500 has been filed. This would be for a 3-year grant. Matching funds would come from Title 3 funds. Transportation: Staff is working on the Route 28 Traffic Study; Avon Pavement Management Study; Plan Refinements to the BAT Comprehensive Regional Transportations Plan, Traffic Counting Program and the South Coast Rail Technical Assistance Projects in Bridgewater and Stoughton. Staff continues to provide Technical Assistance to our member communities at their request and are working on numerous projects. Staff hosted the March JTC and MPO meetings. OCPC also had the Old Colony Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Certification Review on March 17, 2016. Comprehensive Planning: Staff continues to work on the Local District Technical Assistance (DLTA) projects. Staff also completed the solicitation of new project under the 2016 DLTA Contract. Community Septic Management: Staff is continuing with the septic loan program. Communities included in this program are Avon, Cohasset, Hanson, Kingston and Stoughton. A list of Upcoming Meetings/Events for March/April 2016 was included in the meeting packet.
- Regional Clearinghouse Reviews
Industrial Revenue Bonds: None
Environmental Notifications: None
- Old Business
A. Update On The 2016 District Local Technical Assistance (DLTA) Program: Mr. Ciaramella said the following 2016 DLTA projects are being worked on: Abington: Help create a business organization in town, City of Brockton: Prepare GIS shape files for existing zoning districts and data files for properties within those districts, East Bridgewater: Conduct market analysis for East Bridgewater Center, Halifax: Update Housing Production Plan, Plymouth: Continue to provide assistance to Entergy Taskforce, Plympton: Assistance in working with Towns of Kingston, Halifax and Carver to explore regionalization, share services, and collective purchasing opportunities, Stoughton: Create a list of available vacant commercial and industrial properties and land for sale or lease and create a business property site finder to be linked to the town’s website, Whitman: 40R Zoning District, Regional: Municipal Aggregation. Other potential projects include a Market Analysis Study for North Abington Center, Complete Streets in Brockton, Zoning Overlay District in West Bridgewater, Housing Production Plan for Whitman and mapping for Duxbury.
- New Business
- Presentation On The Brockton Downtown Strategic Plan: Mr. Rob May, Brockton City Planner was invited to present. He was unable to attend the Council meeting.
- Update On The Old Colony Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Certification Review. Mr. Charles Kilmer, OCPC Assistant Director/Transportation Program Manager gave an update on the MPO Certification. Mr. Kilmer said early in March, OCPC was given a list of needed documents so Council Transportation could prepare for the review. Before the review the Review Team attended both the March JTC and MPO meetings. Council President Hartmann and West Bridgewater Delegate Eldon Moreira attended the MPO meeting and provided comments. Staff obtained letters of support from other regional planning agencies. The Review took place on March 17, 2016. It was an all-day event. Council Delegate Mr. Robert Moran Jr. from Brockton and Mr. Daniel Salvucci, Alternate Delegate from Whitman attended and provided comments. The overall event went very well. No corrective actions were reported. The Reviewers will prepare a report of findings and will send a draft copy to OCPC.
- Update On The EDA Application And EDA Certification Review. OCPC Economic Development/Community Planner: Mr. Bruce Hughes said the Council filed an application for Economic Development District Funding in March. US EDA will conduct an EDA Certification/Performance Evaluation on March 31, 2016. Mr. Hughes presented on the OCPC economic development program and answered questions from delegates about the program.
- Update On Municipal Aggregation For The Old Colony Region. Mr. Eric Arbeene, OCPC Community Planner was scheduled to present but was unable to attend the meeting. In his absence, Council Executive Director Mr. Pasquale Ciaramella presented in his place. The Aggregation Committee met in December, 2015. They agreed on the form of a Request for Proposals (RFP). The RFP was advertised in January, 2016. Proposals were due February 23, 2016. OCPC received 3 proposals. The committee met on March 7 to discuss the proposals. The Committee interviewed all the responding companies on March 14. After the interview they selected Colonial Power. There was a press release in the OCPC Council meeting packet announcing this. To date, 4 communities, Avon, Bridgewater, Duxbury and Kingston have passed town meeting articles authorizing their communities to participate in the program. OCPC staff will meet with Brockton Mayor Carpenter to see if Brockton is interested in participating in the program. Colonial Power will be asked to present at a future Council meeting.
- Appointment Of A Nominating Committee For Ocpc Officers For 2016-2017. Council President Hartmann thanked the Council for their support during his 3 years as Council President. He appointed the following members of the nominating committee: Mr. John G. Mather, Chair, Mr. Eldon Moreira and Mr. Robert Moran, Jr.
- Report And Update On The Building Improvements. Mr. Ciaramella said he will meet with the architect to get a final list of things to the building done. He hopes to get some money back, as all of the punch list have not been completed. The final payment of $13,470 will be due soon.
- Community Concerns: There were none.
- Other Business: West Bridgewater Delegate Mr. Eldon Moreira said the Town of West Bridgewater is looking for a Town Accountant.
- Visitors Comments/Questions: There were none.
- Adjournment: There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.
Frank Staffier, Secretary